Monday, May 3, 2010

Will It Roast? - Broccoli



We're going to have lots of veggies here on the Farm this summer. I can't wait! That's some good eating to look forward to.

I had someone ask me this question the other day, "How do you get your kids to eat all those strange vegetables?" We had been talking about what was for dinner at our homes that night or some other Mom sort of conversation topic.

Here's my answer to her query: I've learned to cook vegetables in ways that make them taste delicious!

If you think about it, what kid (or adult) is going to be excited to sit down to dinner and see a mound of soggy, pale green broccoli on his plate? Broccoli that has been frozen and then boiled is, well, just not the most appetizing form of broccoli known to man. I've made it this way and my kids have eaten some of it...but they weren't happy about it.

And don't get me started on veggies from cans...Although I can set an opened can of green beans on the kitchen counter and two of my kids will eat them like candy. Strange, very strange.

My secret (ha, ha) cooking methods are steaming and roasting. Roasting is, hands down, my favorite because it is so easy and it tastes SO good!

So, in honor of my love of roasting and in anticipation of the bounty of veggies that will be coming through my kitchen this summer, I'm starting a series of posts I've titled,


"Will It Roast?"
(We've already talked about roasting cabbage here, in case you want to catch up.)

Today's veggie is broccoli. I'm going to tell you how to make broccoli so delicious you kids will want more and your husband will gaze at you from across the table with those eyes... you know the ones. The recipe is so short because it is SO easy. Don't blink; you might miss it.

Roast Broccoli

a bunch of broccoli - whatever your family or those you're cooking for will eat
a few cloves of garlic
some olive oil
salt and pepper
a lemon (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Preheat your oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with foil (you don't have to do this, but you'll love the broccoli even more if you do, trust me). Wash and cut broccoli into florets. I don't use all of the stems, but I do use some. DRY your broccoli. Yes, this sounds strange but it keeps it from being soggy. You can dry it with a towel, let it sit on the counter, throw it in a salad spinner, whatever works for you. Spread the broccoli out onto your baking sheet. Peel the garlic cloves and slice or chop them. Add them to the broccoli. Drizzle with olive oil - I don't have an exact amount - at least a few tablespoons. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Give it a good stir and stick in the oven. 20-25 minutes later, you'll have yourself a little slice of heaven. You'll know it's done when you see some crunchy browned bits. I usually serve it at this point, however some fresh squeezed lemon juice and/or some Parmesan cheese will really put it over the edge.

Will it Roast at your house? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Wendy! My kids love "trees" too, both the green kind and the white kind. But, we are very boring -- we steam & sprinkle with cheese EVERY time. Now, I have something new to try. BTW -- we're getting chickens, too. My husband was even more excited after he saw yours. :-) Another little farm in the city -- and we even have a tractor at ours! My husband is fixing up a tractor to sell. He got it running a couple of days ago, so he took the girls on a ride up & down our street yesterday. Quite funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was extremely wealthy. I'd build a beautiful house for your family on the ranch, hire a tutor for all of our kids, and let you be my chef! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve here - what about a series on "will it grill/BBQ?" and yes Wendy I've been reading your blog. It's good stuff.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Keep sharing more. We are trying to add more veggies to our meals and it is difficult to get the kids to eat them. Last night I told them to think of the green beans as little green muscles. It helped a little. Grace eats hers if we tell her she will get as big as Samuel, but then he gets mad and trys to explain that it isn't possible for his little sister to get as big as him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne - welcome to the Farm. :) They'll be 8 hens within a 5 block area now.

    Lisa - I'd take you up on it.

    Steve - I don't grill at this point. The fire is the domain of the Big Guy. And thanks.

    Amy - don't give up!!!

    ReplyDelete