Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Homeschooling Called on Account of City Workers


One of the things I've learned through the years is that I've got to be flexible when homeschooling. I've got plans, things to accomplish, math to be done, books to be read. There are, however, many different forces working each day to derail these plans.

Sometimes, we're derailed by an illness. We can still do some school when a child is sick, but it does takes a chunk out of the day. Other times, it is a totally exciting, very educational activity that pops up and makes me change things up. The first WARM, sunny day of spring is always a distraction and usually finds us calling all our friends and heading to a park with a picnic lunch. I admit that at times it is me that gets us off track. Me, the homeschool teacher, who has trouble summoning up the motivation and cheerful attitude to plow through the day. It isn't pretty, but it happens from time to time.

Today, I fear our school will be thrown all of kilter because of something totally different. Today the culprit is the 5 city water department employees, 2 backhoes and 1 dump truck parked in front of our house.

They are tearing up the street with all of the appropriate banging and pounding and rattling. My students are mesmerized, as you can see. I am pretty sure that I've lost them for much of the morning.
Maybe I'll just get a good book and read aloud to them while they look out the window. I've learned to be flexible...

No comments:

Post a Comment