Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Frugal Reading List

It's already been established that I lean towards the cheap...I mean frugal...side of things. I admit it. Guilty as charged. I'm a tightwad hear me roar.

I'd like to think that it isn't some sort of crazy obsession with me. I don't save dryer lint to stuff pillows. I have tossed out tubes of toothpaste when I knew there was little bit left in the bottom. I have not put all of our electrical devices on sensors so that they shut off automatically when not in use for 2 minutes. We turn on our heat in the winter.

Instead, I think it's become a way of life. God has given us what we need and more, but I don't want to squander it. I try to be mindful of using these things that have been put under my care to their utmost. It's my "job."

I could go to the grocery store without a list and buy our food for the week and we would be fine. I could look at my son's pants, see his ankles showing and head straight for the mall to get some longer ones and the world wouldn't end. We still spend money! But here's what I've learned...

If I am mindful of our family's resources, do some planning and, yes, some extra work, those resources will go much much farther and we can use them to further bless our family and, more importantly, others. Our kids can take part in some activities that otherwise might be out of reach. We can go on vacations from time to time. We can entertain more people in our home. We can share more with others. We can give as we feel God calls us.

This place wasn't arrived at over night and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a struggle to stay here at times, but I feel confident it is where God has placed me (and our family).

We're trying to use what God has given us to his glory. It isn't just me; it's a team effort.

I've been asked for some suggestions of "frugaly" books. Here are some of my favorites:



The Miserly books by Jonnie McCoy are pretty basic and were the first books that got me started. The Tightwad Gazette is hardcore frugality. To be honest, I think many of the suggestions in this book are crazy, but others are very helpful if only to get your mind going. It is actually a fun read, but that just might be me.

A true tightwad would borrow all books about being frugal from the library, I suppose. Many of those books have gone on my library card and I've looked them over. But I have bought the books on this list and keep them on my shelf to loan out and also to reread from time to time just to remind myself what my goal truly is.


What's your goal for yourself and your family? I'd love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment