Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Strawberries and Balsamic Vinegar


We've been enjoying strawberry season here on the Farm.  We don't actually have any strawberry plants here, but we've been to our favorite strawberry farm and picked pounds and pounds of our own.  The difference in taste between a strawberry just off the plant and one which has taken a journey from California to our local grocery is amazing!  I've tasted berries straight from the field in California and they are delicious, too;  it's the whole truck thing that just doesn't cut it in the strawberry department.

Thus far, we've eaten strawberries in smoothies, on cereal, over shortcake, with rhubarb and, of course, just plain.  Yesterday, however, I found a new way to enjoy them  - with balsamic vinegar and fresh ground pepper!

I admit.  It doesn't sound very good, but it is quite yummy.  I am not sure how to describe the taste.  The vinegar just seems to bring out even more "strawberriness" or something.

The recipe is, of course, simple.  We pretty much only do simple around here, especially with fruits and veggies.  In my humble opinion, the less you mess with fruits and veggies, the better they taste.

Here's how to get some strawberry yumminess:

Cut some strawberries into a bowl.  Sprinkle with just a bit of sugar and balsamic vinegar.  Give a twist or two from your pepper grinder.  Stir it up and let sit for at least 10 minutes.  An hour will give the flavors even more time to mingle.  Grab a fork and eat it up!

I know that the amounts in the recipe above are, well, they're pretty much missing.  When I made it yesterday, I used about 1/2 lb of berries, 1/2 t of sugar and 1 T of balsamic.  You'll have to give it a shot and decide how strong you like the flavors. 

These berries would be amazing in a salad with some goat cheese!

2 comments:

  1. We had grilled peaches with balsamic vinegar last weekend. I didn't mind them, but Cari and our friends disliked the combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of the strawberry and balsamic vinegar combination. It never fails to please. This is my first visit to your blog. I've spent some time reading your earlier posts and I'm so glad I did. I really enjoyed my visit and will be back often. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete